Sometimes we arrive at home so tired, after a long day at work and you just want to have something nice for dinner, easy, warm and delicious. Planning your meals ahead is a great way to minimize your time in the kitchen after a long day at work and prevent you to go crazy in the nearest supermarket!
Today I choose to share with you my favorite soup at the moment (yes it varies from time to time =D) Spicy Pumpkin Soup!
Pumpkin and pumpkin seeds are very rich in antioxidants such as vitamin A, C and E; Beta carotenes and Zinc. This combination of nutrients promotes a healthy and strong immune system, helps to prevent cardiac diseases, and because of its high content of zinc help your skin, nails and hair to regenerate. So ladies this is an amazing recipe to keep in mind!
And for the pregnant women that are reading this post you should start adding pumpkin in your shopping list and incorporated it in your meals more often, because this vegetable is very rich in folic acid and vitamin B which are extremely important for fetus development and to prevent malformations.
Pumpkin seeds are also very rich in tryptophan, amino acid that will be converted in serotonin (the happy hormone) that will increase your happiness and it also plays an important rule promoting your sleep.
Just good reasons to start using pumpkin and pumpkin seeds more often in your meals. So why don’t start from trying it whit this soup? Hope you love it as much as I do…
Spicy Pumpkin Soup Recipe (serving 4 persons)
- 1 small to medium squash/Pumpkin
- 2 medium courgette
- 1 onion
- 1 leek
- 2 garlic cloves
- Small piece Ginger Root (around 3 cm)
- Small piece of Turmeric Root (around 3cm)
- 3 tsp of Coconut oil
- Cayenne pepper q.b
- Salt q.b
- 3 Cloves
- Cardamom seed
- 2 tbs Pumpkin seeds
- 2tbs Hemp seeds
1. Start to peel and chopping the pumpkin in small pieces and place it in an oven tray. Remove the seeds. Roast the pumpkin and the seeds for about 20 min, until it is tender. (If you are running out of time, you can just skip this step and boiled the pumpkin with the other vegetables, the taste will also be good).
2. In the meantime, peel the courgette chop it and all the other ingredients. Add all of them in a pan, as well as the roasted pumpkin and all the species. I like to use ginger and turmeric roots instead of powder because they give an extra flavor to the soup. Add water to the pan until covering the vegetables. Cook the soup in a medium heat for about 40 minutes.
3. When all the ingredients are tender the stock is ready to be blend, blend it until smooth. Turn off the heat and add the coconut oil and leave it to melt, it add some extra taste and will help the absorption of the beta carotenes, these vitamins are fat soluble, what means that they need fat to be carry and absorbent in our cells.
4. To finalize and complete this lovely soup, roast the pumpkin and hemp seeds in a pan and add it after serving the soup in the bowls. This will add some crunchy texture, what I personally love, and the hemp seeds will add some protein, which will make this soup even more balance and complete.
Now you just have to sit comfortable and enjoy!